Northland Information & advice

A good range of information and support services is available for migrants in Northland, particularly in the main city of Whangarei.
Looking for general information?

Regional and District Councils

Northland has one regional council which takes care of key activities that concern the whole region, and three district councils that manage more local tasks.

Among other things, Northland Regional Council is responsible for harbours, land management, regional economic development, transport, environmental planning and monitoring, flood protection and water management, pollution control, biosecurity including regional environmental education and public information.

The Whangarei, Far North and Kaipara District councils look after rubbish, recycling and landfills, water restrictions, libraries, sports grounds and swimming pools, events and leisure.

Northland Regional Council

Whangarei District Council

Far North District Council

Kaipara District Council


Immigration New Zealand - Information for new migrants

Immigration New Zealand offers a free information service for all new migrants available throughout the country.

You can call the Immigration New Zealand Contact Centre on:

Freephone: 0508 558 855 (NZ fixed landline only)
From overseas or a mobile phone: +64 9 914 4100


​Information in YOUR language

Citizens Advice Bureau Logo


Sometimes, to be sure you understand, it can be helpful to have something repeated in your first language. 

Language Assistance Services (LAS) is a free government service available in over 300 languages, that you can use for talking to any participating government agency - including, very soon, your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

This includes phone and video interpreting, and is available "24/7" - 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

For more about LAS including a list of the participating agencies see our Help in your language page - or contact your local CAB.

Help in your langauge

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Cities and most towns across New Zealand have a local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB). It is a place where you will find someone who can provide information, advice and support on just about any problem you may have.

Northland | Citizens Advice Bureau

Migrant Connect information service


For newcomers to New Zealand, selected Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB) provide a walk-in information service. You probably have lots of questions about how things work here. CAB can help or provide you with information on where to find the answers.

As well as helping with your settlement queries, CAB run information sessions for new migrants on relevant settlement topics. 

The following CABs provide this service:

CAB Whangarei

Newcomers network

Many areas offer a service called the ‘Newcomers network’. Each network works slightly differently, but they’re all great ways to meet new people, find out about local events and get connected with your local community. If there’s not one in your area, the national body will give you all the help and support you need to start one.

Northland | Newcomers' network

Another newcomers' network present in Whangarei is WINGS (Women's International Newcomers' Group Social). WINGS isn't just for women. It runs family events and social gatherings that include children, spouses, partners and friends. 


Multicultural Whangarei

Northland also has a migrant centre called Multicultural Whangarei, which provides a 'one-stop-shop' of settlement services for migrants and newcomers. It works to make it easier for migrants to access information and connect with each other.

Check their website for more details.

Multicultural Whangarei

New Settler's guide

The Whangarei District Council have created a guide to everything you need to know about living in Whangarei.  

New settlers guide | Whangarei District Council

Local Libraries

Local libraries, run by district councils, are always a good place to go to find information about activities in your local community. And of course they have hundreds of books, eBooks, CDs and DVDs you can borrow.

A number of libraries also offer free broadband internet through the Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa (APHK). In Northland this includes the libraries at Dargaville, Kaeo, Kaikohe, Kaitaia, Kawakawa, Kerikeri and Paihia.

For the location of your local library, check the website of your district council or visit this site.

Locations & Hours | Whangarei libraries

Cultural groups

Northland has a number of groups representing a wide range of ethnic groups in the area. Check them out on the Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB) site.

Northland Multicultural groups | CAB

Visitor Information

Wondering what to do in your region - what attractions to see, adventures to try, routes to take? The Tourism New Zealand site has all the information you need, plus help with travelling further afield in New Zealand including finding transport and accommodation.

Northland | Tourism New Zealand

Community law office

If you need legal assistance, you can start with your local Community Law Centre. They have lawyers and advocates who can give you initial legal help so you can deal with the issue quickly, which may be free depending on your ability to pay. They may also be able to represent you in courts or tribunals.

Find a centre | Community Law Centre

Immigration advice

If you need help with an immigration matter, you should talk either to a lawyer experienced in the field or to a licensed immigration adviser. There are a number of licensed advisers in Northland. Find them using the online register operated by the Immigration Adviser’s Authority.

Find an adviser | Immigration Advisers Authority

Find an immigration lawyer | New Zealand Law Society

Budget and financial services

If you’re facing financial difficulties, you may need assistance with creating a personalised budget or advice from a financial advisor. They can give you tools, knowledge and advice to help you manage your money better. You may also find answers to your money questions on the Sorted website.

There is a range of budgeting help found in the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) directory.

The New Zealand Federation of Budgeting Services maintains a list of its professional members and their contact details.


Budget services Northland | CAB

Find a budgeting service | National Building Financial Capability Charitable Trust

Parent centres

Parents Centres offer support in all areas of parenting. That includes helping parents develop practical skills in baby and toddler care to preparing for the school years, and crisis help. To find your nearest Parents Centre look on this site.

Locations | Parent Centres New Zealand

Interested in coming to New Zealand?

Sign up to receive relevant job opportunities from New Zealand employers and practical advice on how to make your move to New Zealand a reality.