Migrant worker making coffee in a cafe

This guide has information to prepare you for working in hospitality in New Zealand.

Are you an employer?

An employer version of this guide is available on the Immigration New Zealand website:

Employer guide

This guide is for migrants who work or want to work in hospitality in New Zealand, for example:

  • bakers, bar staff, baristas
  • duty, café and restaurant managers
  • chefs.

No matter how long you stay in New Zealand, we want you to enjoy your time working here.

If you are thinking of applying for a work visa, you should find out about your visa options and Immigration New Zealand's current requirements. 

It can take time to get used to living and working in a new country, so it is also important that you and your family have the information and support you need to help you settle, even if you are here on a temporary visa. 

Working in hospitality in New Zealand may be different from what you are used to. For example, health and safety law may be different from in your home country. How New Zealanders communicate and work together will be different too.

This guide will help you understand what it is like to work in hospitality in New Zealand and where to get advice and support if you need it. It also explains some of the differences you may experience living in New Zealand.

Migrant pastry chefs making a dessert

Introduction to working in hospitality

Working in hospitality in New Zealand may be different from what you are used to. 

New Zealand's hospitality industry

In 2019 there were more than 133,000 people working in hospitality in New Zealand. Over half of them (56.5%) worked in cafes and restaurants. Most of New Zealand’s hospitality work is in Auckland. In 2019, 39.1% of New Zealand’s hospitality sales were in Auckland. The next biggest markets were Canterbury (12.3%) and Wellington (10.6%).

There is a shortage of skilled chefs in New Zealand and the role is listed on Immigration New Zealand’s long-term skill shortage list. Some hospitality businesses also find it hard to recruit managers.

Hospitality industry | careers.govt.nz

About working in hospitality in New Zealand

The New Zealand hospitality industry will be different from what you are used to. New Zealand hospitality businesses are often made up of workers from a wide range of different countries and cultures.

Flexibility and variety

Hospitality work can be energetic and exciting. There is also a lot of variety in the types of jobs you can do – from working with customers to experimenting with new foods and flavours. As a hospitality worker you will often need to learn to do many things as part of your job. 

Uniform and personal grooming

It is important for you to be clean and tidy when working in hospitality. Most hospitality businesses have hygiene and personal grooming standards for their staff. This is usually because of food hygiene requirements, but also to ensure your safety around equipment and to give a good impression to customers.

Before you start your job, check with your employer about the clothing and grooming standards required in your workplace. If you have any differences for religious or cultural reasons, discuss this with your employer before you accept the job.

Working with people from different backgrounds

New Zealand’s population is becoming more diverse. You may be working with people from different cultures and/or countries. Learning and understanding how to work with people from different cultural backgrounds will be an important part of your job.

Qualifications and registration

You do not need a formal qualification or New Zealand registration to work in hospitality here, but many businesses prefer you to have prior hospitality experience. If you have worked in hospitality in another country, your skills should transfer to the New Zealand hospitality industry.

Your employer may require you to gain certification for work that you will do, once you arrive in New Zealand. For example, if you will be serving alcohol to customers you may need to get a Manager’s Certificate. This involves taking a course to gain your Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ).

Service IQ

Using overseas qualifications in New Zealand

If you intend to use your overseas qualification to get a job in hospitality in New Zealand, check that your qualification is recognised by the sector. You may need to have your overseas qualification assessed by Qualifications Recognition Services (QRS) at the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) to see if it aligns with the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF).

Recognition of overseas qualifications | NZQA

International Qualifications Assessment | NZQA

New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) assessment

Recognition of a qualification by Immigration New Zealand as part of applying for a residence visa is not the same as NZQA assessing whether your overseas qualification aligns with the New Zealand Qualifications Framework. Both may be required.

Senior chef showing young chef how to plate up a salad

Getting New Zealand training for hospitality work

If you need training, you may wish to discuss support for your training needs with your employer. You may be able to strengthen or formalise your existing skills, either through an on-the-job training programme or through external training organisations.

Industry Training Organisations

Industry Training Organisations (ITOs) are part of a formal system for increasing and developing skills in the workplace. ITOs arrange training and set qualification standards, and work with the industry to determine skill development needs. Health and safety training is included within ITO training programmes.

Service IQ is the ITO for the hospitality industry.

Service IQ

Private training establishments

Private training establishments (PTEs) also provide training for hospitality work, from entry level up to post-graduate level. PTEs must be registered with NZQA and meet national standards.

To find training courses on the careers.govt.nz website, type "hospitality" into the search box.

Search for a course or training provider | careers.govt.nz

Other hospitality training providers:
Provider Website
Restaurant Association of New Zealand

Restaurant Association of New Zealand

Hospitality New Zealand

Hospitality New Zealand

Polytechnics and  Institutes of Technology

Listed on the New Zealand Qualifications Authority website:

Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics | NZQA

Discuss training options with your employer

Speak to your employer if you think you need more training in any aspect of your work.

Working conditions in the hospitality workplace


The average pay in hospitality is different depending on the job, the region or location of the business and the skill level of the employee. For example, in the 2019 Hospitality Remuneration Survey, on average chefs earn between $20 to $33.74 an hour, duty managers $20.82 and restaurant managers $24.29.

What can you earn in New Zealand?

To find out more about hospitality jobs and what you can earn in New Zealand, look at the careers.govt.nz website.

Hospitality jobs | careers.govt.nz

Hours of work

As a hospitality worker in New Zealand, you can either work part time or full time. The same work rights apply whether you work full time or part time. Part-time is common in hospitality, with many people working fewer than 30 hours a week.

Please note if you are on an Essential Skills work visa, you are required to work a minimum of 30 hours per week. 

Different hours of employment in New Zealand:
Full time

Usually between 30 and 40 hours a week with guaranteed hours

Part time

Usually between 10 and 15 hours a week, but can be up to 30 hours a week with guaranteed hours


Casual workers are employed as and when required and do not have regular or guaranteed hours of work. Work is offered when available and there is no requirement to accept work when offered

Types of employee | Employment New Zealand

Hospitality jobs do not follow the usual Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm schedule common to many other types of jobs. Although some cafes are only open during the day, many hospitality businesses are open during the evening and weekend. You may work nights, weekends and public holidays.

Your employer may ask you to work different hours and shifts each week, depending on the needs of the business. If you agree to this, then your employer will usually display your hours of work on a roster.

Your rights relating to your working hours and your other minimum employment rights are explained in more detail in the section Minimum employment rights.

Smiling woman appearing at NZ customs check-in area at airport

Applying for a visa

Explore visa options for you and your family. 

There are different visas that you can apply for to work in hospitality. Each has its own rules and application process.

Which visa do you need?

Which visa you need depends on:

  • the type of job
  • your skill and/or pay level
  • your level of English
  • whether your qualification is recognised in New Zealand.

Visa options for working in New Zealand

To work in New Zealand, you can apply for a Resident visa or a Temporary work visa. 

  • Resident visas allow you to work and live in New Zealand for as long as your like. 
  • Temporary work visas allow you to work and live in New Zealand for a set period of time.

Visas to work


If you are in New Zealand on a Student visa you may be able to work part-time while you study or full-time during scheduled holidays, if your study programme meets certain conditions.

Working on a student visa | Immigration New Zealand

Explore visa options | Immigration New Zealand

Work in New Zealand | Immigration New Zealand

Applying for a visa

There are 3 main ways to apply for a New Zealand visa. You can either:

  • complete the application form yourself
  • hire a licensed immigration adviser
  • consult a New Zealand registered lawyer, a Community Law Centre, or an authorised person who is exempt from licence requirements.

Getting immigration advice

Advice for temporary workers

If you are granted an employer-assisted work visa, the visa will specify the conditions of your visa. 

If your situation or plans change, for example if you want to change your employer, you may need to apply for a ‘Variation of Conditions’ or a new visa.

My situation has changed | Immigration New Zealand

Temporary visas

Workers on temporary visas must leave New Zealand or apply for a new visa before their visa expires. 

Bringing family to New Zealand

Family photo of migrant parents and their two young girls

Your family needs to prepare for living in a new country.

You may be able to bring family members to New Zealand, if they meet the immigration requirements. It also depends on which visa you have and the skill level of your job.

Family members you may be able to bring are your:

  • husband, wife, civil union or de facto partner
  • dependent children up to the age of 24 who are single with no children of their own.

Your family will need to be prepared to live in a different country and adapt to a new culture. Your employer may be able to support you better when you arrive if you let them know that you intend to bring your family to New Zealand.

Join or  bring family to New Zealand | Immigration New Zealand

Living in New Zealand

School age children (temporary workers)

School age children of temporary workers may be issued a student visa (domestic) if the temporary visa holder is earning the New Zealand minimum annual income. It also depends on which visa you have and the skill level of your job.

To avoid any delay that could lead to having to pay international student fees for schooling, apply for a Dependent Child’s Student Visa before you arrive in New Zealand.

Education and schooling

Help with planning

Try our NZ Ready tool. NZ Ready is a free online planning tool for people moving to New Zealand. It creates a personalised task list for you where you can add notes and check things off as you prepare for your move.

NZ Ready
Migrant staff chatting over lunch in the workplace kitchen

Minimum employment rights

New Zealand has laws that protect all workers. Know your rights to ensure you are paid and treated fairly.

Available in 14 languages

Information on your minimum employment rights is available in 14 languages.

Minimum employment rights

As an employee in New Zealand you have minimum employment rights. These include:

  • minimum wages
  • working hours
  • holidays
  • leave and breaks.

Your employer must treat you fairly and provide you with a written employment agreement outlining what you are entitled to.

Knowing your rights will help you to settle into the workplace and avoid any potential disagreements with your employer.

Fair process

You are entitled to seek independent advice before signing your employment agreement.

Your employer cannot take any action against you without a genuine or valid reason. If they believe they have a valid reason, they must work with you in good faith and follow a fair process. You are entitled to seek independent advice and have a support person present when meeting with your employer.

Fair process | Employment New Zealand

Try Employment New Zealand's learning modules

The Employment New Zealand website has a lot of useful information about employee rights, including free employee learning modules. Look at these modules to learn about your rights and obligations. It is important that you find out things you may not be aware of. The modules include links to supporting information if you need it and are available in English, Samoan, Simplified Chinese, Hindi, Korean and Tagalog.

Employment learning modules | Employment New Zealand

Right to join a union

In New Zealand, you have the right to join a union. Unions support employees in the workplace. They bargain for collective employment agreements with employers and help employees with information and advice about work-related issues.

Your employer cannot discriminate against you or disadvantage you for joining a union or taking part in legitimate union activities.

The following unions represent hospitality workers:

Union Network of Migrants

Union Network of Migrants (UNEMIG) is a migrant led, non-profit and non-sectarian network of migrant workers that aims to protect the rights and welfare of migrant workers in New Zealand.

Employment agreements

Hotel employees sitting around a table discussing a document

Employees can be part of a collective agreement.

Your employer must provide you with a written employment agreement stating your hours of work, what you will be paid, the leave you are entitled to and any other conditions that you and your employer have agreed to.

If you and your employer later agree to any changes to your original employment agreement, for example hours of work, they must be recorded as a written variation to your employment agreement.

You can have an individual agreement or be part of a collective agreement.

Individual agreements

If you do not belong to a union, you will need an individual agreement between you and your employer. You must both sign the agreement.

Before you sign your agreement, read it and make sure you understand it. Your employer must give you time to read it and get advice if you need any. You can discuss and agree any changes with your employer before you sign. You can have a representative or support person with you when you do this.

You are entitled to a copy of the signed agreement. If your employer does not give you a copy, ask for one. Keep the signed copy in a safe place in case there is a disagreement.

Collective agreements

In New Zealand some employers in the hospitality industry who hire migrant workers may have collective agreements with independent trade unions. A collective agreement is an agreement worked out between a union (on behalf of the workers) and your employer.

Your employer must let you know if there is a collective agreement and how to contact and join the union that negotiates the collective agreement. If you belong to a union and there is a collective agreement, you will be automatically covered by that agreement. If you agree to any conditions that are different from the collective agreement, these should be outlined in a variation of contract or in a letter of appointment.

Employment agreements | Employment

Working hours

Migrant worker and employer looking at a document beside the staff noticeboard with safety posters on it

Your hours of work must be stated in your employment agreement.

Your hours of work must be agreed to by you and your employer and recorded in your signed employment agreement. Any other arrangements relating to your hours of work, for example flexible working hours and compensation for overtime, must also be recorded in your signed employment agreement.

  • Your employer must pay you at least the minimum wage for all the time that you work. 
  • Your employer cannot change your hours, days or times of work without your written agreement (unless you are a casual worker).
  • Your employer cannot make you work more hours than you have agreed to in your employment agreement or a variation to it.

It is important to read all about your rights regarding hours of work.

Hours of work | Employment New Zealand

Workers on Essential Skills work visas

If you are on an Essential Skills work visa, you must be paid for at least 30 hours a week.

Flexible work arrangements

You have the right to request a change to your working arrangements. For example, you may need more time at home to care for your family.

You can ask to change:

  • the days you work
  • the hours you work
  • your place of work.

Your employer must consider the request fairly. Make sure you get agreed changes in writing.

Flexible working arrangements | Employment New Zealand

90 day trial period

When you start working, if your employer employs fewer than 20 people they may offer you a trial period of up to 90 days.

If you agree to a trial period:

  • your employer must pay you during the trial period
  • the details must be recorded in your signed employment agreement. 

If your employer dismisses you from your job during the 90 day trial period, you cannot make a legal complaint against them for unjustified dismissal.

You can make a legal complaint against your employer for other reasons, for example harassment, exploitation and discrimination. These terms are explained later in this guide.

All other minimum employment rights apply while you are on a trial period.

Trial periods | Employment New Zealand 

Minimum pay and deductions


If you are aged 16 years or over, your employer must pay you at least the minimum hourly wage for every hour you work. The minimum wage is set by the government and reviewed each year.

Your employer must pay you in money, either directly into your bank account or with cash.

The minimum wage | Employment New Zealand


Your employer must not charge you fees or take out (deduct) money from your wages, unless they are required by law or you have agreed in writing first.

Deductions allowed by law include:

  • pay-as-you-earn (PAYE) income tax
  • ACC levies
  • student loan repayments
  • agreed KiwiSaver payments
  • child support payments 
  • deductions ordered by a court.

Deductions | Employment New Zealand

IRD (tax) numbers

Before you begin work you need an IRD number so your income is not taxed any higher or lower than it should be. It is free to get an IRD number from the Inland Revenue website.

Employees | Inland Revenue


KiwiSaver is a voluntary, work-based savings scheme to help New Zealanders save for their retirement.

  • You must be eligible to join KiwiSaver.
  • Workers who join have a percentage of their wages paid into the scheme each pay day.
  • If you join KiwiSaver your employer must also contribute an amount equal to 3% of your wages.
  • The New Zealand government may also contribute a member tax credit once a year.

Check if you can join KiwiSaver

  • Not all visa holders can join KiwiSaver. For example, temporary visa holders are not eligible to join.
  • If you are eligible to join, you will be automatically enrolled into a KiwiSaver scheme when you start a new job. You can join the same scheme that your employer uses, or choose from a range of other schemes.
  • If you do not wish to join KiwiSaver, you have 8 weeks to “opt out” (let your employer know you do not want to join).


Hotel cook having a drink during a break

All workers are entitled to set rest and meal breaks.


Hospitality work often involves busy peak periods and physical work. Regular breaks help you to stay fresh and alert and avoid workplace accidents. They also allow time to rest, refresh and take care of any personal matters.

All workers are entitled to set rest and meal breaks. The number and length depends on how many hours you work. The minimum length of breaks required by law is:

  • 10 minutes for rest breaks
  • 30 minutes for meal breaks.

Your employer does not have to pay you for your meal breaks but rest breaks are paid time.

Rest and meal breaks | Employment New Zealand

Working during a scheduled break

From time to time your employer may require you to work during a scheduled break. For example, if there is an emergency situation to deal with or if there is no one to cover your job. If this happens, you must be allowed a break at a quieter time.

Public holidays

Public holidays (also known as ‘statutory holidays’) are paid holidays that all workers are entitled to in addition to their annual leave. New Zealand has 11 public holidays.

In the hospitality industry, public holidays are often the busiest times for businesses. Your employer may want you to work.

Rules about public holidays and your entitlements

The following table has some of the rules about public holidays and what you are entitled to.

Public holiday entitlements:
If... then...

a public holiday is on a day you would normally work

you are usually entitled to have the day off and still be paid for it

Due to the nature of hospitality you may be required to work on a public holiday. If so, your employment agreement should make this clear

you and your employer agree you will work on a public holiday

you are entitled to be paid at least one and a half times your usual pay rate (‘time and a half’) for the hours you work on that day

you agree to work on a public holiday and it is a day you would normally work

you are entitled to:

  • be paid time and a half, and
  • take another day off on full pay (an ‘alternative day’ or a ‘day in lieu’)

a public holiday falls on a weekend (Saturday or Sunday) and you do not normally work on those days

you usually get a paid holiday on the following Monday or Tuesday instead. This is called ‘Mondayisation’

Transferring a public holiday

You can ask to transfer a public holiday to another working day. For example, you may wish to celebrate a religious or cultural holiday that is not a New Zealand public holiday. Your employer must consider the request fairly.

Your employer can also ask you to transfer a public holiday to another day to meet the needs of the business.

Any agreement to transfer a public holiday must be in writing.

Public holidays | Employment New Zealand

Types of leave

Two migrant hospitality workers smiling

All workers are entitled to New Zealand's public holidays, as well as annual leave.

Annual leave

All workers with predictable work patterns are entitled to at least 4 weeks of paid holidays a year after working for their employer for 12 months.

Most employers will let you take annual leave as you earn it. You can take at least 2 weeks off at a time.

If you work part time, you get 4 weeks of annual leave based on what a working week is for you. For example, if you work 3 days a week you will be entitled to 12 days of annual leave.

  • You and your employer must agree on when you will take your leave.
  • Your employer can require you to take annual leave but must give you advance notice and the chance to discuss it with them first.
  • Your employer cannot make you exchange your annual leave for money.
  • Your employer must pay you the holiday pay you have earned but not yet taken when your employment ends.
  • Your employer must show your holiday pay as a separate amount on your payslip.

Annual holidays | Employment New Zealand

Work with your employer when planning leave

In hospitality, it may be difficult for you to take annual leave during the busy summer period (December to February) because this is when your employer will most likely need you to work.

  • It is a good idea to have written confirmation from your employer before you finalise arrangements for leave that are difficult or expensive to change or cancel.
  • Let your employer know if you plan to be overseas during your annual leave so they can contact you if needed.
  • If you are on annual leave and you need to stay away longer than planned, you must get your employer’s approval first. For example, if you have a family emergency to deal with. If you do not get prior approval, you could put your employment at risk.

Casual workers

Depending on their pattern of work, casual workers may be entitled to either 4 weeks’ annual leave or ‘pay-as-you-go’ annual holiday pay (8% of their gross earnings as holiday pay on top of their wages).

  • If the pattern of your work hours is predictable you are entitled to 4 weeks’ annual leave.
  • If your pattern of work hours is unpredictable you may agree to be paid annual holiday pay with your pay. This is called ‘pay as you go’ for fixed term or changing work patterns.

Types of employee | Employment New Zealand

Sick leave

All workers are entitled to at least 5 days of paid sick leave each year after being employed by the same employer for 6 months. Check your employment agreement to find out what you are entitled to.

You can request sick leave when:

  • you are sick or injured
  • you need to look after someone who depends on you because they are sick or injured. For example, your husband or wife, partner, child or elderly parent.

The New Zealand Holidays Act allows you to carry over unused sick leave to the next year, up to a maximum of 20 days. Your employer may allow you to carry over more than 20 days.

Medical certificates

You are not required to get a medical certificate for sick leave, but your employer may ask you for one. The certificate should state that you are unfit for work but not the reason why. If the sick leave is for less than 3 days your employer must reimburse you for the costs of getting a medical certificate. For 3 days or more, you may have to pay the costs.

Sick leave | Employment New Zealand

Talk to your employer if you have questions about sick leave

If you need to take sick leave before you have worked 6 months, or you are unsure if you have enough sick leave available, talk to your employer about your options.

Bereavement leave

All workers are entitled to paid bereavement leave after being employed by the same employer for 6 months. Collective agreements generally have bereavement leave available from the start of employment.

The amount of leave you are entitled to must be recorded in your employment agreement.

Bereavement leave entitlements

The following table has the minimum entitlements for bereavement leave. Check your employment agreement to find out exactly what you are entitled to

Minimum entitlements for bereavement leave
If... then...

a member of your immediate family dies who is your:

  • husband, wife, civil union or de facto partner
  • child or grandchild
  • brother or sister
  • parent or grandparent
  • husband, wife or partner’s parent
3 days

more than 1 family member dies at the same time

3 days for each person

someone outside your immediate family dies

up to 1 day

If you request bereavement leave for someone outside your close family, your employer needs to agree that you have a close relationship with the person and/or responsibilities relating to the death, eg cultural and/or supportive responsibilities.

Bereavement leave | Employment New Zealand

Talk to your employer if you have questions about bereavement leave

When close family or friends die it may be very difficult for you if you are living far away. If you need to take bereavement leave and are unsure if you have enough available, talk to your employer about your options.

Parental leave

If you have a new baby or child to care for you may be eligible for paid parental leave and up to 1 year unpaid extended leave, if you are the primary carer.

The parental leave payment is a weekly payment for 1 continuous period of up to 22 weeks.

You should not be disadvantaged in your work for taking paid or unpaid leave that you are entitled to.

Parental leave | Employment New Zealand

Domestic violence leave

Workers affected by domestic or family violence have the right to:

  • up to 10 days paid domestic violence leave per year
  • ask for short-term flexible working arrangements for up to 2 months.

Domestic or family violence means all forms of violence in family and intimate relationships. Domestic violence can be physical, sexual or psychological abuse.

Domestic violence rights apply even if the domestic violence happened in the past.

Employers must not treat workers badly or unfairly for experiencing domestic violence.

Domestic violence leave | Employment New Zealand

Who qualifies for domestic violence leave?

Workers qualify for domestic violence leave if they have worked for their employer for at least 6 months and meet other criteria around the hours they have worked.

Employers may ask for some form of written proof, like a letter from a support person or organisation, a report from your doctor or court documents.

Your employer must keep full and accurate records to show that they have given you all your minimum employment entitlements. These records must include your:

  • hourly pay rate
  • hours worked and what you were paid
  • holiday and leave information (including leave taken and leave balance).

Your employer does not have to provide you with a payslip, unless this is stated in your employment agreement. But they do have to give you a written breakdown of how your pay is made up, if you ask for it.

If you do not understand something on your employment record or payslip, you can ask your employer to explain it to you.

Payslip | Employment New Zealand

Keeping accurate records | Employment New Zealand

Your privacy

Your employer can only collect personal information about you for valid work purposes or where directed to by the law. They must protect the privacy of your personal information and not disclose or use it for any other purpose.

You can ask your employer for access to your personal file and other information they have about you. They must either give you access or tell you why you cannot see it. They must respond to your request as soon as possible and within 20 working days (or ask for an extension). You can also ask for information to be corrected if it is not accurate.

Employee privacy | Employment New Zealand

Migrant cafe worker smiling at camera from behind the coffee grinder in hotel foyer

Protecting yourself from exploitation

Workplace exploitation is a serious crime in New Zealand. Learn what support is available. 

If you are a migrant worker you have the same rights as New Zealand workers and it is a crime for employers to exploit you. Your employer cannot take away your employment rights.

Most New Zealand employers do not exploit their workers but a small number may take advantage of people who are not familiar with their minimum employment rights.

You can find helpful information on the Immigration New Zealand website, including examples of exploitation, what to do if your employer exploits you and ways to keep yourself safe.

Migrant exploitation | Immigration New Zealand

Ways to get help

If you think you are being exploited, support is available. It is important to get help as soon as possible.

Here are some things you can do if you think your employer is exploiting you

  • Make a note of the incidents that offend you.
  • Talk about it with someone you trust. They may be able to help you or direct you to someone who can.
  • Discuss it with your union delegate.
  • Use the free mediation service offered by MBIE. A mediator can help you and your employer resolve the problem.

Who to contact for free help and advice

Workplace support contact list
Contact Help they can provide How to get help

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)

Confidential help and advice on employment issues, pay and holidays

Call the Contact Centre on:
0800 20 90 20

MBIE Mediation service

Help to resolve a dispute with your employer

Mediation | Employment New Zealand

NZ Police

If you think you are a victim of migrant exploitation you can contact the New Zealand Police

Contact us | New Zealand Police

Call 105 for non-emergencies

If you are in immediate physical danger,
call 111 and ask for Police

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Advice on dealing with complaints and disputes

This service is for everyone, not just New Zealand citizens

Find a CAB | Citizens Advice Bureau 

Phone a CAB:
0800 367 222

Community Law

Free legal advice, if you are eligible

Free legal help | Community Law

Help with exploitation and getting fair treatment

Unions can also negotiate with your employer on your behalf

E tū



Employee assistance programme

Two migrant workers, one carrying cleaning equipment in workplace

EAP is a free and confidential service for employees.

Some workplaces have an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP).

EAP is a free service where you can talk to an independent professional counsellor in private about problems you are facing. You can get advice on many issues, including:

  • employment
  • health and safety at work
  • personal health issues
  • relationship issues
  • budgeting
  • legal issues.

EAP is completely confidential

You do not need to tell your supervisor or employer if you are receiving this service.

Contact your workplace human resources (HR) team to find out if your workplace provides this service.

Employee assistance | EAP Services

The role of employment authorities

There are several organisations that oversee employment standards in New Zealand. We call them employment authorities.

There are 3 main employment authorities:

  • Labour Inspectorate
  • Employment Relations Authority (ERA)
  • Employment Court.

The New Zealand employment authorities are here to help you. Do not be afraid to report a complaint to these authorities, even if you are worried about your immigration status. They will treat you fairly.

The Labour Inspectorate

The Labour Inspectorate has a team of inspectors that visit New Zealand businesses to make sure their owners are providing the minimum employment rights to their employees.

Labour Inspectorate | Employment New Zealand

Employment Relations Authority (ERA)

The ERA helps to put right employment relationship problems. Examples of issues they can help with include:

  • unpaid wages
  • employers who fail to meet the terms of an employment agreement
  • unjustified dismissal (being dismissed without a good reason).

Employment Relations Authority

Employment Court

The most serious employment disputes go to the Employment Court. This can happen if someone does not agree with what the ERA determines.

Employment Court | Ministry of Justice

Chef cooking in kitchen with flambe above pan

Health and safety

Keeping healthy and safe at work is everyone's responsibility. 

Your health and safety rights

Kitchen worker filleting a salmon with chef looking on

Your employer should provide equipment training.

Under New Zealand law, you have the right to:

  • work in a place where risks to health and safety are managed
  • adequate facilities at work, for example toilets, washing facilities and first aid equipment
  • free protective equipment, for example gloves for food preparation and shoes for chefs
  • safety training, information and support
  • have your say on health and safety issues and decisions
  • ask for a workplace safety representative or a health and safety group
  • refuse to do work that puts you or others at risk.

You can have your say on health and safety decisions

It is against the law for anyone to treat you differently or take steps against you for being concerned about workplace health and safety.

Everyone is responsible for health and safety

Under New Zealand law, both employers and employees have a duty to ensure that the workplace is healthy and safe.

Health and safety responsibility table
Your employer must... All workers must...

look after your health and safety and provide a healthy and safe workplace

know the health and safety procedures and how to keep themselves and those around them healthy and safe

give you the training, supervision and equipment that you need to do your job safely

follow health and safety instructions carefully and wear or use the safety equipment provided

tell you how to raise concerns or make suggestions about staying healthy and safe at work

report all accidents and near misses

Keeping you healthy and safe

Some of the things your employer must do to keep you healthy and safe include:

  • give you health and safety information when you start your job
  • tell you about workplace risks and how they are managed to reduce harm
  • give you personal protective equipment and show you how to use it
  • explain what to do in a medical emergency or other unexpected event
  • show you where emergency equipment and first aid kits are kept
  • tell you how to manage risk and report hazards and accidents, including a ‘near miss’
  • explain how to raise concerns and make suggestions about workplace health and safety.

What is a near miss?

A ‘near miss’ is an event that could have caused injury but did not.

Hazards in the hospitality workplace

Know the dangers

There can be lots of hazards in the hospitality workplace. The following table has some of the hazards you should be aware of.

Different hazards in the workplace
Equipment and substances People and environment
Hot liquids and hot elements Inadequate food safety and hygiene
Flames, smoke and harmful vapours Long working hours, fatigue, stress, shiftwork
Lifting heavy objects, like heavy pots and pans Sexual harassment

Sharp equipment, like knives, meat slices and mandolins

Violent and aggressive customers and customers under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs

Broken glass or crockery Loud music
Spills and slippery floors Sunburn (working outdoors)
Electrical cords and clutter Small or dark spaces
Chemicals and cleaning fluids Going home late at night

The level of risk from these hazards will vary depending on the individual business. Be sure to ask what the most important risks are for you. Your manager or supervisor should identify the top risks in your work and what you must do to keep healthy and safe.

Staying safe at work

Drugs and alcohol

Using drugs or alcohol while at work can put you and others at risk. Drugs and alcohol can cause poor concentration, carelessness, risk-taking behaviour and errors in judgement and can result in injuries, fatalities and absence from work. They can also affect work performance and productivity.

Employers may have policies and processes to manage and prevent the risks of drugs and alcohol in the workplace. They may also use pre-employment testing when employing workers in safety sensitive workplaces, or require employees to take alcohol or drug tests if this is part of the worker’s employment agreement.

Drugs, alcohol and work | Employment New Zealand


Fatigue is a state of physical and/or mental exhaustion. It can reduce your ability to perform work safely and can lead to workplace accidents and injuries. Causes of fatigue include long or irregular work hours, night work, physically demanding work and loud noise.

Fatigue quick guide | WorkSafe


Sunburn can cause skin cancer. Sunburn can happen quickly in New Zealand, even on a cloudy day or when it feels cool. It is important to use sunscreen and/or suitable clothing to protect yourself from the sun.

Keeping safe in the sun | WorkSafe

Report workplace hazards

Make sure you report all workplace hazards and accidents, including near misses. Reporting dangers and suggesting safety ideas helps keep everyone healthy and safe.

If you have a suggestion or concern, but do not feel comfortable raising it at work, you can:

  • talk to your Health and Safety representative, if you have one
  • ask a workmate to raise an issue for you
  • contact a union delegate, if you have one.

If you do not have enough information or training to do a task safely, talk to your employer or supervisor immediately.

Use the protective clothing and equipment provided

Chef and a kitchen worker wearing face mask, goggles and gloves

Someone should show you how to use safety equipment.

Your employer must give you personal protective equipment (PPE), including protective clothing, to do your work safely. What they give you will depend on the tasks you are expected to do. All workers must use the protective clothing and equipment provided to them.

Health and safety support

WorkSafe regulates health and safety in New Zealand workplaces and monitors and enforces compliance with health and safety law.

Risks in your industry | WorkSafe

To help you stay safe at work, the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides information and advice on how to prevent injuries in the workplace and what to do if you are injured.

Keeping you healthy and safe at work | ACC

Call WorkSafe if you are worried about an unsafe or unhealthy work situation

You can contact WorkSafe by phone on 0800 030 040 (24 hours). Ask for Ezispeak if you need an interpreter. Your concerns will be treated confidentially.

WorkSafe also has information to help you deal with sexual harassment and bullying in the workplace.

Sexual harassment and bullying | WorkSafe 

Employee assistance programme

EAP services can help you resolve health and safety issues. Contact your workplace human resources (HR) team to find out if your workplace provides this service.

Employee Assistance | EAP services

If you are injured

New Zealand has an accident compensation scheme called "ACC". The scheme provides cover for personal injuries for everyone in New Zealand, including residents, visitors and migrant workers. ACC replaces the right to sue for personal injury. It is a blame free scheme, meaning it does not matter who caused the injury or where and when it happened.

If you are injured (at work, at home or anywhere in New Zealand) your injury is likely to be covered by ACC. You may be able to get help with costs for doctor’s fees and treatment. If you are unable to work because of your injury, you may be able to get compensation for loss of earnings (weekly compensation) while you are off work. The amount you receive and when you start to receive it will depend on your particular situation.

All employees pay a levy (tax) to help fund the cost of the ACC scheme. The money is automatically taken out of your wages by your employer as part of your PAYE tax. The amount you pay depends on how much you earn and your individual levy rate.

Before you take out income replacement insurance

Make sure you know what cover ACC can provide before you consider taking out income replacement insurance. 

ACC - Helping to meet the costs of personal injury

The ACC website has information on preventing injury and how to make a claim.


Hotel desk staff discussing bookings on the computer screen

Workplace culture and communication

Learn how New Zealanders communicate and work together. 

Some New Zealand workplaces can be quite informal. The way New Zealanders communicate at work may also be different from what you are used to.

Workplace culture

In New Zealand hospitality workplaces, you may work with people from many different cultures. It will help if you understand some of the differences between New Zealanders and people from other countries.

Management and work style preferences

Knowing about the differences between cultures can help make it easier for you to fit into a new workplace. It can also help everyone work better as a team.


People from different countries often prefer to be managed in different ways. Some like to be told exactly what do, others do not.

Compared to some migrant workers, New Zealanders are more likely to:

  • expect everyone to be treated fairly
  • make suggestions to their manager or supervisor
  • enjoy working without close supervision
  • expect to be asked to do a range of tasks
  • prefer to be left to do the job.

Workplace differences

Workers from different countries may also have different ways of working and talking with their workmates.

Here are some of the things that workers from different cultures say about how they work. How do you like to work?


Graphic with written examples of what different workers say about how they prefer to communicate in the workplace

Workplace communication

Keeping it clear

Migrant worker showing another worker how to prepare chicken pieces safely

Migrant workers need to give and receive clear instructions.

In hospitality, it is important that you can give clear instructions and understand instructions you are given so you do not put yourself or others at risk of harm.

It is also important that you:

  • can be understood by those you work with and by your customers
  • can understand what your boss, workmates and customers say to you.

New Zealanders speak very fast and their accent is different from other English speakers. If you do not understand something, ask the person to speak more slowly and repeat it back to them to make sure you have understood correctly. Employers do not mind if you ask them to repeat an instruction many times as you need to make sure that you understand the instruction.

Keeping it clear

Do people have trouble understanding you?

Some people may find it hard to understand your accent. Try to remember to speak more slowly if someone is having trouble understanding you.

Talking to the boss

Kitchen workers talking with the head chef

Most New Zealanders, even the boss, like to be called by their first name.

In New Zealand, it is usually okay to speak to a supervisor or manager in a casual or informal way. It is not seen as disrespectful. Workers do not usually have to wait to be invited to speak. It is also okay if you need to challenge or question instructions or complain about something, as long as you do it in a polite way and away from customers.

It is also common for workers to call their boss by their first name. They do not usually mind.

Do not be shy to talk to your boss

If you are unsure how your boss likes to be spoken to, you could ask them or ask one of your workmates.

Talking with your workmates

Image of WorkTalk tool

Our free online tool WorkTalk is designed to help improve communication in the workplace. Try the tool:


Being able to communicate well with your workmates helps you to work better as a team. It can also help you make friends. You will find it helpful if you take time to learn how the people in your team like to communicate with each other.

Small talk

In many New Zealand workplaces, people like to have some casual talk from time to time. This is called “chat” or “small talk”.

  • Workers will greet each other in the morning and chat about things like the weather, the news, sport, traffic, tv programmes etc.
  • Managers and supervisors will usually greet workers in the morning and chat with them from time to time too.

You will soon learn if this is okay in your workplace.

Working in a kitchen

It may be a little different if you work in a kitchen. Some kitchens have strict levels of authority and kitchen staff may be arranged in terms of rank from junior to senior. It is common to hear senior staff giving very direct instructions to more junior kitchen staff.

The kitchen is also a busy place. So you may be asked to limit small talk while working in the kitchen. As a health and safety measure, you may also be asked to only speak English in the kitchen so that everyone understands what is happening and when to take care, for example when someone is carrying a pan full of hot oil.

Talking to customers

It is important to be polite and welcoming to customers in New Zealand. They choose to spend their money at the business where you work and it is your job to make them feel comfortable. A simple ‘Hi, how are you?’ when they walk in the door or ‘Have a nice day’ when they leave are easy ways to do this. Your supervisor or manager may arrange training to help you with this.

Requests and complaints

New Zealanders are not always direct when they ask people to do things. This is important to know if you are working as a waiter or as café or bar staff. If you do not understand a customer’s request, check what they want rather than guess. This will help you to avoid mistakes, like giving them the wrong meal or drink.

There is a well-known phrase in New Zealand, ‘The customer is always right.’ This means that you should do your best to meet their needs. But you also need to follow the rules of your workplace.

Sometimes a customer may complain to you about the food or service they have received. Most New Zealanders complain politely and it might not be clear to you that they are not happy. If a customer is clearly unhappy, be polite, apologise and do your best to fix the problem. If you are unsure or uncomfortable about what a customer is requesting, then always check with a supervisor or manager.

If you want some extra training on how to deal with customer complaints, ask your supervisor or manager if they can arrange training for you.

How New Zealanders make requests

New Zealanders often ask people to do things in an indirect way. When someone asks for something, it may sound like a suggestion. It is important to remember this when you are talking with your boss and with your customers. Here are some examples:

  • "Would you mind cleaning the table?" = "Please clean the table."
  • "Do you think you could put the dishes away?" = "Please put the dishes away."
  • "I’m after a glass of water" = "Please get me a glass of water."

Workplace language

Hospitality jargon

Hospitality workers in New Zealand may use some technical terms (jargon) or other words that you are not used to. You may need to quickly learn some new terms. If you are not sure what something means, ask a workmate or your supervisor.

Try this quiz to learn some New Zealand hospitality jargon.

Māori language

Māori are sometimes referred to as ‘Tangata whenua’ (“people of the land”).


Along with English, Māori is an official language in New Zealand. You will probably hear some Māori words being used around you in everyday conversation, including in the workplace. Some signs in New Zealand are written in both English and Māori. You may see signs in both languages in your workplace too.

Māori culture

100 Māori words

Try this quiz to learn some common Māori words.

The Treaty of Waitangi

The Treaty of Waitangi is a bi-cultural partnership between The Crown (embodied by the government) and Tangata Whenua. The Treaty is the founding document of New Zealand.

Treaty of Waitangi

New Zealand slang

Most countries have words and phrases that only people who live there use. This is called ‘slang’ or ‘colloquial language’.

Some New Zealand words may be hard for you to understand when you first hear them. Ask a workmate if you are not sure what something means.

Try this quiz to learn some New Zealand slang.


3 cafe workers laughing in the kitchen while doing prep

Friendly teasing and banter is common in New Zealand workplaces.

Swearing (using rude or offensive words) is common in some New Zealand workplaces. Try not to be offended if you hear some swearing during normal workplace conversation.

Swearing does not always mean the person is angry or telling you off. Some New Zealanders swear when they are in a good mood or joking with others.

It is never acceptable to swear at your boss or in front of customers. 

Teasing and banter

In some New Zealand workplaces, workmates may tease each other in a friendly way. This type of talk is called ‘banter’.

Banter is usually between people who know each other well. For example, someone may make fun of a person’s new haircut in a playful and friendly way. Like swearing, teasing or banter can become offensive.

Swearing may be harassment

If swearing is making you feel uncomfortable or is causing you distress, it may be harassment, which is against the law.

If swearing or teasing makes you feel uncomfortable, try asking the person to stop doing it. You can also speak to your supervisor or manager about it.

Getting English language support

Improving your English can help you in the workplace and with your settlement into New Zealand life. There is help if you need to improve your English. Some is provided by community groups. 

English language 

Workplace communication

Discrimination, harassment and bullying

When someone treats a person unfairly because they are different from them, this is discrimination. It is unlawful to discriminate against anyone based on their current, past or assumed:

  • sex, gender identity or sexual orientation
  • marital, family or employment status
  • religious or ethical belief
  • colour, race, ethnic or national origin
  • disability, age, political opinion
  • family violence experience.

When someone repeatedly behaves unreasonably towards a worker or group of workers, this is workplace bullying. It can lead to physical or psychological harm.

When someone repeatedly makes offensive sexual or racial comments, or behaves in an offensive way towards someone at work, this is harassment. Sexual and racial harassment are taken very seriously in New Zealand. Your rights are protected by the Human Rights Act 1993.

Bullying, harassment and discrimination | Employment New Zealand

If you experience discrimination, harassment or bullying at work, you could:

  • make a note of the incidents that offend you
  • talk about it with someone you trust
  • discuss it with your union delegate
  • bring it to the attention of the person doing it. You could write to them or ask someone to talk to them on your behalf
  • speak to your supervisor or boss about it, eg if a workmate is bothering you.

Need help?

Children playing on a tree by the beach with family looking on

Living in New Zealand

Get prepared for living in New Zealand. 

Accommodation - where will you live?

A family in winter clothing leaving their house

Learn more about where you might live and work.

Our regions and cities

When you arrive in New Zealand you will need to find a place to live. Some options are:

  • staying with a New Zealand family (often called “boarding”)
  • staying in a bed and breakfast (B&B) or a hostel
  • flatting (sharing a house or apartment with others)
  • renting or buying a house.

Renting in New Zealand

If you are renting a house in New Zealand, it is important that you know your rental rights and responsibilities. The Tenancy Services website provides videos, tools, resources and information to help you learn more about tenancy law.

The cost of renting differs depending on where you live. Generally it costs more to rent in larger cities than in smaller ones, and if you rent closer to the city centre.

Rental properties are usually unfurnished.

Renting a house

Renting advice

The Tenancy Services website has a tool to help you make decisions about where you could afford to live in New Zealand.

Market rent | Tenancy Services

Download the 'Renting and you' guide

The ‘Renting and you’ guide (available in different languages) has information on tenancy agreements and legal requirements, including things your landlord must provide, like insulation and working smoke alarms.

Your rights and responsibilities | Tenancy Services

People new to New Zealand can be surprised by the high cost of goods and services here. However, the cost of living in New Zealand compares well with other OECD countries.

Cost of living calculator

Driving in New Zealand

Driver licence requirements

To drive in New Zealand, you must have either a current driver licence from your home country or a New Zealand Driver licence.

You can drive in New Zealand on a foreign driver licence for 12 months after arrival. After that, you must apply for a New Zealand driver licence.

You may need an international driving permit or a translation of your licence if it is not written in English.

Converting to a New Zealand driver licence | New Zealand Transport Authority (NZTA)

Take care when driving on New Zealand roads

  • Remember that we drive on the left-hand side of the road.
  • Drive to the changing conditions, eg ice, snow, rain.
  • Be extra careful driving on country roads – many are unsealed (covered in gravel or loose stones - often called "metal" roads).

Do not drive after taking alcohol and drugs

Driving while influenced by alcohol or drugs is unsafe and can result in large fines, a driving ban and even prison.

Alcohol, drugs and driving

  • It is illegal to drive if the amount of alcohol in your blood or on your breath exceeds the legal limit.
  • It is illegal to drive while impaired by certain drugs (including some prescription medicines).

Being safe on the road - rules and reasons | NZ Police

Public transport

You may need to use public transport if you have no other way of getting around. Most towns and cities have a bus service and some have trains as well.


New Zealand’s climate

New Zealand has 4 seasons with different temperature ranges.

Weather and temperatures vary from region to region. It is generally warmer in the north and cooler in the south.

Differences between seasons in New Zealand

Seasonal months and temperature ranges in New Zealand
Season Months Temperature (Celcius)
Summer December to February

usually warm or hot, eg 20-30 degrees

Autumn March to May

getting cold, eg 15-20 degrees

Winter June to August

cold or very cold, eg below 0-15 degrees; there could be snow!

Spring September to November

getting warm again, eg 15-20 degrees

Our regions and cities

Regional climatologies | NIWA

Healthcare services

New Zealand has a publicly funded health service. If you are here on a visa that qualifies you for publicly funded healthcare, you will be eligible for these services. Note that not all services are free.

When you arrive in New Zealand, you will need to enrol or register with a GP (general practitioner). A GP is a fully trained medical doctor who can give you medical advice and refer you for further tests or specialist treatment if needed. If you need medical help and it is not an emergency, the first point of contact is a GP.


Enrolling with your local doctor

Find out if you are eligible for healthcare services

If you are not eligible, you should have comprehensive travel insurance that includes health insurance.

Eligibility for publicly funded health services | Ministry of Health

Your safety

Children wearing police uniform hat and vest sitting in a car with two police men in background smiling

The New Zealand Police are here to help you.

New Zealand is generally a peaceful and safe country to live in. Crime rates are lower than in many other countries and we have low levels of corruption. There are no dangerous animals and only 2 rare types of poisonous spider.

Keeping safe

But there are some unseen risks that you should know about. These include:

  • changeable weather
  • sea conditions
  • sunburn
  • natural disasters, like earthquakes.

These differences are explained below.


New Zealand weather can change very quickly. Check the weather forecast and dress for the conditions before you go out.


Photo of Mt Taranaki with snow covering

Be prepared for cold weather in New Zealand.

Planning a day outdoors?

It is also important to check weather conditions before doing outdoor activities like walking, cycling, hiking, swimming or boating. Always carry your cell phone, warm clothing, food and drink with you. Let people know where you are going and when you expect to return.


The sun in New Zealand can burn your skin very quickly. Sunburn can cause skin cancer. Protect yourself from the sun, even on cloudy days.

To avoid sunburn:

  • wear a hat and light clothing that covers your skin
  • put on sunscreen (SPF 30+) where your skin is not covered (including your face)
  • wear sunglasses that wrap around your eyes.
People at the beach surfing close to shore on a sunny day

The sea in New Zealand can be cold and dangerous.

Sea conditions

In New Zealand, the sea can be cold and dangerous. Sea and weather conditions can change quickly.

If you plan to swim or fish in the sea or go out in a boat, make sure you always check the weather forecast first. Wear a life jacket and take safety equipment in your boat.

Watersafety New Zealand

Take care when in or near water

Most drownings in New Zealand happen at beaches and when people are out in boats.

Stay water safe


New Zealand has earthquakes! These happen in some places more than others. Most earthquakes are so small you do not feel them, but they can be big and cause injuries and damage, especially in areas with lots of buildings.

Make sure you know what to do in an earthquake and have a disaster safety plan.

A disaster safety plan will help you and your family to cope if a big earthquake happens.

Natural disasters

Meeting people

People from overseas say New Zealanders are very friendly and sociable. But it can be hard to meet and get to know people when you move to a new country.

How to meet people


There are lots of ways to meet up with New Zealanders and other migrants. Here are some ideas to get you started.

  • Visit your local library – most have community noticeboards with information about community groups, sports clubs, cultural groups etc.
  • Talk to other migrants about their experiences. Meet up with your local migrant group if you have one.
  • Meet other parents through your child’s school activities or playcentre.
  • Look on the community noticeboard at your local supermarket.
  • Talk to your employer about your religious needs – they may be able to help you find your closest religious community or worship centre.
  • Talk to your employer and workmates about your interests and hobbies – they may know how you can get involved in a sports club or other groups.
  • Try volunteering – it is a really good way to meet people, make friends and learn New Zealand English.
  • Join a Neighbourly or Meetup group.
    • Neighbourly is a private website designed to help people in neighbourhoods to connect, share information and improve the local community.
    • There are Meetup groups all around New Zealand where you can meet people interested in lots of different topics.

There is more advice about meeting people on New Zealand Now.

Meeting people

New Zealand law

Newcomers to New Zealand have the same rights and responsibilities as people already living here.

Everyone living in New Zealand must obey New Zealand law. New Zealand law applies to all migrants with temporary or permanent residence and to all temporary workers.

Do not put your visa status at risk

Breaking the law can put your visa status at risk, and your family’s. Immigration New Zealand can require someone to leave the country if they commit a serious offence and they are not a New Zealand citizen. A serious offence is any criminal offending, including driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Settlement support

When you arrive in a new country, it takes time to settle. There is a lot to learn and a lot that is different. It can take quite a long time to feel settled and at home in New Zealand.

People often feel happy and positive when they first arrive but then find it harder to get settled than they expect. Over time, people learn more about the New Zealand way of doing things and start to feel at home.

Immigration New Zealand’s Settlement Curve shows how your feelings may change as you start living in a new country.


Chart showing emotional state during settlement

Stages of settling in

There is support for you if you feel lonely or very unhappy. 


Free helplines:

  • Call or text 1737
  • Call the Depression Helpline: 0800 111 757
  • Call Lifeline: 0800 543 354

The Ministry of Health has more information on what to do in a mental health emergency, including more helplines and support services:

Mental health services | Ministry of Health


To find healthcare services near you see our regional pages:

Our regions and cities


Information, resources and services for you

Immigration New Zealand provides settlement information, resources, programmes and services to help you settle into your new life.

Living in New Zealand

Access help and support

Help in your language

Information in YOUR language

Sometimes, to be sure you understand, it can be helpful to have something repeated in your first language. 

Language Assistance Services (LAS) is a free government service available in over 300 languages, that you can use for talking to any participating government agency - including, very soon, your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

This includes phone and video interpreting, and is available "24/7" - 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

For more about LAS including a list of the participating agencies see our Help in your language page - or contact your local CAB.

Help in your language


Download the guide

You can download this guide as a pdf booklet:



    This guide was collaboratively developed by the following organisations:

    Logos of supporting organisations

    Interested in coming to New Zealand?

    Sign up to receive relevant job opportunities from New Zealand employers and practical advice on how to make your move to New Zealand a reality.